Friday, September 21, 2007

Yesterday I solved a mystery. Just recently the local store has started carrying toilet paper, which I found weird, as I am the only person who would buy it. It was a mystery. Then I went to the seventh grade graduation, and was made to sit up in front of the graduating class and their parents in a special little lean-to made for the day. It was all decorated with brightly colored kangas (a sheet of fabric worn by women in East Africa) and also with none other than bright pink toilet paper. Mystery solved.

Last year I showed up to the graduation and was handed a schedule that had my name on it, and a word I didn't understand in Swahili, which I soon found out means 'speech,' and an allotted time of 10 minutes. I was fresh out of training, so it was a blundering, half-English attempt, which lasted about 30 seconds. Which is probably why I was not invited to give a speech this year.

No comments: