Saturday, December 06, 2008

Party in the Dark

When you feel like the world is plagued with hypocrisy, greed, and evil, sometimes the only medicine is a little girl bringing you flowers. The community I live in boasts a high proportion of kids who are sweet to the bone.

The other night I was about to head off to teach English when the power flickered off. Thinking of how hard it would be to teach by candle-light (and admittedly how delicious it would be to stay in and read by candle-light), I headed to the school to cancel the class. I thought I was going insane when I heard voices coming from inside the classroom, which was locked from the outside.

The kids had spent all afternoon decorating the classroom, arranging refreshments, and locking themselves inside in order to orchestrate a surprise birthday party for me. The lights went out just after they were locked in. The little ones cried, but soon were mollified. I was rushed in to have a confetti-filled balloon popped over my head while they sang (in perfect English, yay!) Happy Birthday. We ate chips, drank Pepsi and played musical chairs, telephone and tug-of-war by candle-light. There hasn´t been that much shouting, laughing, screaming and even crying (inevitable when little kids play games) at my birthday party for at least a year... maybe 15.

These kids know just the remedy for feeling like you’re getting old.

No comments: